The Power and Water Corporation (PWC) has proposed changes to the retail supply code in response to the substantial structural reforms presently underway in the Northern Territory, including the:
- introduction of a wholesale electricity market;
- structural separation of PWC; and
- the entrance of new retailers.
In response to PWC’s proposal, the Utilities commission published a consultation paper on 29 July 2016, outlining some of the issues under consideration. These include:
- changes to the scope and responsibilities around network related activities and cost recovery and transfer of some of these functions to the network operator;
- the availability and provision of customer information and metering data between market participants; and
- standardising the connection process for customers across network service provider, retailers and the market operator.
Submissions on the consultation paper are due by 2 September 2016, with a draft decision scheduled for 14 October, followed by a final decision around the middle of December 2016