On 30 January 2017, the Economic Regulation Authority (ERA) received a licence application from AGL to retail natural gas to small gas customers (less than 1TJ per annum) in the Geraldton to Busselton area (i.e. coastal area) for 10 years from the date the licence is approved. This includes residential and small business customers.
In its licence application, AGL outlines its experience, presence and track record in Australian gas markets. It also retails gas and electricity to customers in Queensland, New South Wales, South Australia, Victoria and the ACT. AGL is seeking to extend its portfolio of retail products to WA gas customers. This portfolio includes:
- access to loyalty schemes (flybuys) and reward schemes,
- access to an online web portal where customers can organise their house move, view and monitor energy usage and bill details, pay bills and update personal details,
- access to an advanced energy report tool which allows customers to track their energy usage, compare with similar homes and set energy saving goals,
- flexible customer contact facilities including, 24/7 contact centres, Webchat and flexible payment methods including bull smoothing, payment via PayPal
and the ability to make impromptu payments.
The grant of a gas retail licence by the ERA is subject to the ERA being:
- satisfied that it is not contrary to the public interest; and that
- AGL has or will obtain and then retain the financial and technical resources to undertake the activities authorised by the licence.
Submissions on the licence application were due on 1 March 2017. The ERA has yet to confirm if it will approve the application.