The Public Utilities Office (PUO) hosted an industry briefing forum on 8 December 2015 to provide an update on the progress of Phase 2 the Electricity Market Review and respond to questions and feedback from around 200 industry participants. The session covered:
- A progress update on the current activities under the Electricity Market Review.
- Presentations on three major initiatives:
- transfer of functions to the Australian Energy Market Operator;
- establishing the Rule Change Body for the Wholesale Electricity Market Rules and Gas Services Information Rules; and
- reforming the Reserve Capacity Mechanism.
- The outlook for the first half of 2016.
A link to the forum slides is available here.
Over the first half of 2016, the EMR project teams are anticipating publishing:
- draft transitional market rules for changes to the Reserve Capacity Mechanism;
- draft market rules and draft regulations for the Rule Change Body;
- Position papers on both retail sector reform/full retail contestability and energy reforms (operations and processes); and
- draft regulation and draft legislation for changes to network regulation (adoption of chapter 5 of the National Electricity Rules).
Future Effect will provide updates on the progress of these projects and initiatives as they become available.