The Public Utilities Office (PUO) has just completed a project to transfer market operation and gas services information functions from the WA Independent Market Operator (IMO) to the Australian Energy Market Operator (AEMO). The transfer took effect on 30 November 2015.
The functions that were transferred are the:
- operation of the wholesale electricity market;
- administration of the Gas Bulletin Board; and
- development of the annual Gas Statement of Opportunities.
Functions not transferred to AEMO are:
- rule-making functions for either the Wholesale Electricity Market Rules or the Gas Services Information Rules; and
- compliance and enforcement functions that are currently the responsibility of the IMO.
These functions remain with the IMO initially and will be transferred to other entities at a later date.
The project involved the creation of regulations and amendment rules to support the transfer of functions from IMO to AEMO. Amendments were made to the Electricity Industry (Wholesale Electricity Market) Regulations 2004 and the Gas Services Information Regulations 2012. Document links go to the State Law Publisher’s website.
To enable the transfer of functions, amendments were also made to the Wholesale Electricity Market Rules and the Gas Services Information Rules; these were published in the Government Gazette on 27 November 2015.
The PUO project team has prepared marked-up versions of the WEM Market Rules and Gas Service Information Rules for informational purposes only.
This project form part of a suite of projects to be implemented as part of Phase 2 of the WA Electricity Market Review.