On 23 June 2016, the Minister for Energy announced the introduction into WA Parliament of a package of legislation to adopt the national regulatory framework in WA. If the WA Parliament enacts the Bills, it it anticipated that they will achieve Royal Assent in November 2016. This legislation package includes three bills:
- the National Electricity (Western Australia) Bill 2016;
- National Gas Access (WA) Amendment Bill 2016; and
- the Energy Legislation Amendment and Repeal Bill 2016.
The expected outcome of the reforms is that:
- Western Australia will move to the national electricity and gas regulatory frameworks applied in the South West Interconnected System;
- The responsibility for regulation for Western Power’s network and Western Australia’s regulated gas pipelines will be transferred from the Economic Regulation Authority to the Australian Energy Regulator; and
- A constrained network access framework will be implemented in the South West Interconnected System.
This is a major deliverable for the Electricity Market Review. Further information on the EMR can be found on the Public Utilities Office website.